If you find yourself devouring more than one piece of pumpkin pie during the holiday season, this portion-controlled paleo pumpkin pie is yet another thing to be thankful for!
Paleo desserts are a festive delight—a boost of protein, naturally sweetened, and nothing but the healthiest of fat sources. So, for the fun of it, let’s compare the nutritional profile of your average piece of pumpkin pie to a single serving of a paleo pumpkin pie.
Average 1/8 Slice of Pumpkin Pie (source) vs. Paleo Pumpkin Pie Mug
I know what you’re thinking: “The calories are basically the same, so they have about the same nutritional value.” However, when you look at the ingredients, the paleo pumpkin pie contains more wholesome ingredients that are better for you.
* The paleo pumpkin pie has coconut oil as the main contributor of fat. Coconut oil, while high in saturated fat, is a different kind of saturated fat than lard or butter—the kind that actually improves hair, skin, and nails. I would also argue that the total carbohydrate level is significantly less in our paleo dessert.
** The sugars comes from natural sources like maple syrup or honey—a much healthier alternative to refined white sugar.
The only thing that isn’t paleo about this recipe is the microwave cooking. Say what you will about microwave cooking, it’s just so gosh darn convenient when you’re making a single serve dessert!
Paleo Pumpkin Pie in a Mug
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 heaping Tbsp almond flour
- sprinkle of coconut sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup of pureed pumpkin
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp of raw honey/or maple syrup
- 1 tsp of Pumpkin Pie spice
- Place ghee or coconut oil into microwavable mug/ramekin for 30 seconds to melt.
- Add shredded coconut, almond meal, and coconut sugar. Stir until combined.
- Press mixture flat on bottom of dish to form crust.
- In a separate bowl, combine pumpkin puree, egg, natural sweetener, and spice, mixing until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly over crust.
- Place in microwave for 2 minutes. If center of pie is still wet after 2 minutes, cook for another 30 seconds.