We have a special Halloween dessert just for you! We’ve come up with a healthy twist on the classic “dirt cup” recipe that’s sure to delight both children and adults alike.
In all honesty, it’s quite “scary” just how easy this recipe actually is. A traditional dirt cup only requires three main ingredients: chocolate pudding, crushed chocolate cookies, and gummy worms.
We’ll be substituting the highly processed pudding packets with homemade pudding. We’ll also use carob chips—vegan and caffeine free! Finally, we’ll use regular gummy worms, there’s really no healthier substitution. So consume these in moderation, probably 3-5 worms!
What the heck are Carob Chips?
Carob chips are almost identical to chocolate chips, but they are made with carob powder and have an earthy, cocoa-like flavor that’s more mellow than chocolate. Unlike cocoa, carob chips have no caffeine. And carob chips have almost 3 times more calcium than chocolate chips!
Healthier Pudding Dirt Cup Treats
Makes 4 Servings
- 3 medium avocados
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup and 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla flavored extract (optional)
- 9 tbsp carob chips (optional)
- 9 gummy worms (optional)
- Measure ingredients in a large bowl. Using a stand mixer, hand mixer, or food processor, combine ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate.
- In small cups layer the pudding and then add a sprinkle of carob chips. Artfully place gummy worms on top of “dirt”.