Everyone has a favorite chili recipe. Whether it’s with beans or without, with meat or veggies, super spicy or on the mild side, it’s that perfect version that satisfies their hunger and warms their soul. That’s why chili can be a tricky thing to serve a group. Since everyone has their own favorite, it can be hard to win folks over with a slightly different version! That’s why I switch it up completely.
Instead of trying to make a “standard” chili that maybe satisfies everyone, I go off the wall and make something that is different from the norm. Take this Black Bean Chicken Chili for example. It is hearty, spicy, and has the traditional chili taste, but it’s lighter thanks to shredded white meat chicken. And a secret ingredient added at the end makes it creamy and thick without adding a lot of calories. It’s a delicious chili that is different from what most folks serve in their own home (this Pumpkin Quinoa Chili or Turkey Beer Chili are also good not-so-normal chili recipes to try).
This chili recipe is what folks call a “dump” recipe for the slow cooker—meaning you just dump all the ingredients into the basin of the slow cooker, turn it on, and you’re done. It doesn’t get much easier! This is a great option for a game-day party (that way, you can still enjoy the game) or even a busy weeknight. Packed with veggies and lean protein, this chili is a great, healthy way to serve a crowd. Don’t have a crowd? Make it on the weekend and enjoy all week long!
Slow Cooker Black Bean Chicken Chili
Makes 8 generous servings
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2–14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups salsa (whatever is your favorite)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder (this is for a mild chili; add more if you like it spicy)
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Combine the chicken breasts, tomatoes, salsa, onion, bell pepper, garlic, celery, corn, black beans, salt, oregano, chili powder, and cumin in the basin of a slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8.
- With 30 minutes remaining before serving, turn the heat off the slow cooker and shred the chicken using two forks. Leave the lid off and let it cool. Just before serving, stir in the Greek yogurt.
- Serve topped with your favorite chili toppings (minced cilantro, green onions, cheddar cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, crackers, whatever!).
- At very high temperatures, Greek yogurt disintegrates and becomes curdled—that’s why it’s important to let the chili cool for a half hour before stirring it in. Whole fat or low fat Greek yogurt tends to curdle less easily than nonfat. If you don’t have Greek yogurt around, four ounces of cream cheese also works well.
- Frozen chicken breasts are fine; no need to thaw before putting in the slow cooker.
Nutrition Per Serving
Does not include toppings
425 calories, 5g fat, 68g carbs, 31.5g protein