Pizza night looks a little tastier (and healthier!) with this zucchini-forward twist. If you’re craving a slice of za without opting for a doughy crust, this easy, vegetable-loaded version will do the trick!
Roasted Pizza Zucchini Boats
6 small zucchinis (~8-9 inches long)
1.25 cups pizza sauce
1.5 cups shredded mozzarella
⅓ cup mini pepperoni slices
⅓ cup green pepper, chopped into small pieces
⅓ cup mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
⅓ cup red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 small zucchini (~8-9 inches long)
3 T pizza sauce
¼ cup mozzarella
12 slices mini pepperoni
1 T green pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 T mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
1 T red pepper, chopped into small pieces
Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, grated Parmesan, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare the zucchinis by slicing them in half, lengthwise, and hollowing out the seeds with a small spoon or tool to build a “boat” to hold the toppings. Don’t scoop out too much or the boats will sink, LOL. Arrange the zucchinis on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet or in a large casserole dish.
- Spoon pizza sauce into each boat, filling about ¾ full. The amount of sauce is going to vary a little, depending on the size of your zucchinis.
- Top each zucchini with cheese and your desired toppings (we used mini pepperoni, green pepper, red pepper and mushrooms).
- Bake for 12 minutes, then broil for 3-5 minutes at the end.
- Top with whatever you like to sprinkle on top of your pizza.
- Choose zucchinis that are about the same size. We used smaller zucchinis. If yours are larger, you will want to adjust the cook time, toppings and serving sizes accordingly.
- Customize this recipe with your favorite pizza toppings.
- To ensure everything cooks evenly, the chopped vegetables should be cut into quite small pieces.