It’s time to celebrate the Fourth of July! A holiday that comes with a ton of not-so-healthy food choices—where the buffet tables at barbecues and picnics aren’t the best place to find food that aligns with your healthy diet—and that’s not even mentioning all the fare at the deep fried-everything stands at our local Independence Day community celebrations. It’s almost like these summer holidays are trying to derail your healthy eating!
But no fears, you can easily get back on track by taking control of your eating destiny—bring your own healthy eats whenever you go celebrate. Not only are you guaranteeing you’ll have a healthy option to nosh on, but you’re also sharing your clean eats with all those folks you love. And in the case of these patriotic, festive skewers, you’ll be the hit of the party! So skip the cookies with red, white and blue sprinkles — instead, show folks that natural foods can be just as patriotic as those empty calorie treats!
Red, White, and Blueberry Fruit Skewers
Makes 9 skewers
- 3 large bananas, cut into 1” pieces
- 13 large strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- About ½ cup blueberries
- 9 wooden skewers
- For five of the skewers, string on one strawberry half, followed by a banana piece, followed by another strawberry half, and then another banana piece. Fill the remaining half of the skewer with blueberries.
- For the remaining four skewers, string on a strawberry half, followed by a banana piece, and repeat until the skewer is full. Place the skewers in the order shown on a platter. Serve immediately.
- If serving a crowd, double or triple the recipe and just stack the skewers on top of one another to maintain the flag layout.
- If not serving immediately, you can keep the bananas from browning by dipping them in a solution of 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons lemon juice before putting on the skewers.
Approximate nutrition per skewer: 53 calories, 0.1g fat, 13.5g carbs, 0.7g protein