I’m such an avid fan of granola. It goes so well on top of yogurt and in milk—and quite frankly, it’s pretty damn good all by itself. Though, I’m not a fan of the amount of sugar in most store bought granolas. What was once a nutritious snack turns into a candy crumble. Hence, I’ve resorted to making my own, because it’s just that easy!
By making your own granola, you can control exactly WHAT goes into this crunchy morning, afternoon, or evening snack.
This recipe was designed with the dietary restricted in mind (well except those with nut allergies—but feel free to modify to your needs). This grain-free granola is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and vegan. I gave this batch a tangy twist by adding cranberries and orange zest. But feel free to experiment with other dried fruits, zests, and extracts. The flavor combinations are endless!
Cranberry Orange Grain-Free Granola
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, flaked coconut
- 2 cups slivered raw almonds
- 1 1/4 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp coconut (or cane) sugar
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- OPTIONAL: 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and position a rack in the center of the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut, nuts, cinnamon, sugar, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the coconut oil, maple syrup, and orange zest. Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet (parchment works well) and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in dried cranberries.
- Increase heat to 340 degrees F and return granola to oven for another 5-8 minutes, or until golden brown. *Watch carefully!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Store in a container with an air-tight seal.
Nutrition Facts (1/4 cup serving): 230 calories, 20g Total Fat (4g Saturated Fat), 13g Carbohydrate (4g Fiber, 6g Sugar), 6g Protein