It’s Friday night and pizza is on the mind. You likely have little desire to cook, so you speed dial your favorite pizza place. Easy as pie—pizza pie that is—and dinner is served.
I understand this dilemma. You’ve worked (and worked out) hard all week. But why derail this healthy routine—your high intensity workouts, your meal planning, and your intuitive eating—all for a greasy slice.
For a numbers driven person like myself, seeing the nutritional info for a small cheese pizza from these big name pizza delivery brands is more than enough motivation to home-make my own pie every Friday. So let’s take a look these numbers and learn how to make your very own healthy pizza!
|Domino’s Small Hand Tossed Cheese Pizza||Pizza Hut’s Personal Pan Cheese Pizza||Papa John’s Small Cheese Pizza||10” Homemade Pizza (For Cheese Only)|
|Serving size||¼ pizza (“)||1 – 6” pizza||¼ pizza||¼ pizza|
|Calories from Fat||172.5||220||70||27|
Note: Be mindful of the toppings’ nutrient densities (lots of nutritional value for little calories) by selecting lots of veggies and lean meats.
Healthier Turkey Pepperoni Pizza With Pineapple
Honey Whole Wheat Flatbread Crust
(makes 2 crusts)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 envelope (~2¼ teaspoons) rapid-rise or instant yeast
- 2¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup red sauce (look for a brand with few ingredients and low in sugar)
- 3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheese
- Onion, pepper, mushroom, olives, spinach, etc
- Chicken sausage , turkey pepperoni, etc
- Combine 1 cup of warm water, honey, and olive oil in a small bowl. Add yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In food processor, pulse flour and salt. Slowly pour liquid mixture into food processor and pulse until dough forms.
- Transfer dough to bowl, and using slightly wet hands, form dough into a ball. Cover bowl with towel while prepping pizza toppings.
- Once ready to prepare pizza, on a floured surface, cut dough in half and form into ball. Using a rolling pin, form dough into a flat rounds about ~10 inches in diameter of even thickness. Transfer dough to a baking pan (grease if necessary).
- Par-bake crust at 425F for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread crust with sauce and top with cheese, veggies, and meat of choice.
- Bake 6-8 more minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Refrigerate remaining crust if not using both and cook within a few days.