You’ll never guess the secret ingredient in this healthy dip!
If you’re headed to a Football party this Sunday, you’re probably expecting to find plate after plate of high-calorie, low-nutrition game day eats. But worry not! You can bring your own addition—this high-protein, healthy queso dip!
Many of your standard queso dips are packed with sour cream, butter, and pounds and pounds of cheese; but this version uses a secret ingredient for it’s base—a can of blended beans! The beans provide a creamy, thick texture to the dip, but also add a ton of fiber and protein without a ton of calories or unhealthy fats. And thanks to its bold flavors and a touch of cheese, your fellow party-goers will never suspect it’s anything but game day deliciousness!
A Healthier Queso Dip
Time: 5 minutes | Makes: About 4 cups | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Servings Per Recipe: 8
- 1-15 ounce can of Great Northern beans (do not drain)
- 1-10 ounce can of diced tomatoes with green chiles (i.e. Rotel brand), drained
- 1/4 cup your favorite salsa
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt, pepper, and hot sauce, taste
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, blend the beans (including the liquid from the can) on high until very smooth. Depending on your food processor or blender, you may have to stop a few times and scrape down the sides to get it really smooth.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, add in the blended beans, diced tomatoes, salsa, green onions, and sour cream. Heat until hot and bubbly, about three minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheeses until melted, and add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Serve with tortilla chips and veggies for dipping.
Cook’s Note: Shredding your own cheese is the way to go when you’re melting it. Pre-shredded bagged cheeses are coated in special anti-caking agents that tend to make the cheese get stringy and gritty when melted. No one wants gritty queso!
Nutrition per 1/2 cup serving: 126 calories, 6.9g fat, 9.2g carbohydrates, 7.2g protein