Woohoo! January is National Oatmeal Month. It’s perfect timing too – with the New Year – as I typically associate oatmeal with a “clean, healthy, and nutritious start” to my day!
A hot bowl of rolled or steel cut oatmeal is one of my go-to breakfast options all year round. Thinking about creamy oatmeal dazzled up with nuts and sweet cherries is often what gets me out of bed on Monday morning.
Cooking up a nutrient-dense bowl of oats can be simple and quick. There’s no need to stand in front of the stove waiting for the water to boil. Your microwave is here to save the day.
When you’re running late from your AM gym exercise (good for you) and are scrambling to get to work, try this easy recipe for Cherry Coconut Oatmeal. The flavors of tart cherries and luxurious coconut, accented with a hint of pure vanilla, will tease your tastebuds into thinking it’s a cafe quality recipe. Low in added sugars and gluten-free* – this one bowl recipe will become one of your favorite weekday regulars – enjoy!
Cherry Coconut Oatmeal
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- ⅔ cup water (could substitute unsweetened almond milk)
- ½ ripe banana, sliced
- 1 tsp. flax seeds
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. dried cherries
- ½ Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp scoop of almond butter
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine oats, water, and banana. Cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Mix to combine, mashing up the banana. Stir in flax seeds and vanilla.
- Pour into a serving bowl. Top with cherries and coconut and dig in with a spoonful of almond butter.
Other topping suggestions: chia seeds, hemp seeds, sliced almonds
320 calories | 44g carbs | 14g fat | 7g protein | 12g sugar
*use certified gluten-free oats