Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It starts your brain and metabolism so your day is a good one. However, it’s also likely the most time-crunched meal, so we can end up making sub-par choices, or skipping it completely. Whether you wake up hankering something sweet or something savory, there’s a healthy breakfast sandwich option for you, and each can be prepped in less than 10 minutes. These sandwich recipes were designed with lean protein and healthy fats in mind to keep your energy up until lunch.
1. Healthier Classic Egg McMuffin
- 2 pieces of whole wheat toast or (1) English muffin
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 1 slice cheese
- 1 slice turkey, turkey bacon, or Canadian bacon
- Scramble egg over medium heat until thoroughly cooked.
- Cook slice of turkey bacon in microwave if necessary.
- Assemble ingredients on toasted bread or English muffin.
Nutrition Facts*: 352 Calories, 13g Fat (4g Sat Fat), 37g Carbohydrate (4g Fiber, 4g Sugar), 23g Protein
2. PB&J All Grown Up
- 2 pieces of whole wheat toast
- 2 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tbsp jam
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- Layer toast with nut butter followed by jam.
- Sprinkle with flaked coconut.
Nutrition Facts*: 448 Calories, 27g Fat (7g Sat Fat), 48g Carbohydrate (8g Fiber, 4g Sugar), 11g Protein
3. Banana French Toast Sammy
- 2 pieces of whole wheat bread
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- Whisk egg, vanilla and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Dipping bread into egg mixture, coat both sides.
- Place bread on skillet over medium heat until lightly browned on each side.
- Once cooked, smear with nut butter and top with sliced banana.
Nutrition Facts*: 405 Calories, 18g Fat (3g Sat Fat), 51g Carbohydrate (7g Fiber, 11g Sugar), 15g Protein
4. Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 pieces of whole wheat toast or English muffin
- 1 egg, fried
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup black beans, slightly smashed into spread
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Fry one egg.
- Toast bread until lightly browned.
- Spread black beans onto toast, slightly smashing to create a spread.
- Top with sliced avocado, poached egg, and salsa.
Nutrition Facts*: 429 Calories, 19g Fat (2g Sat Fat), 56g Carbohydrate (11g Fiber, 3g Sugar),19g Protein
*Nutrition fact will vary depending on food product used.