You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream! July is National Ice Cream Month, and just because you’re watching what you eat doesn’t mean you have to skip a scoop of creamy, sweet, delicious soft serve.
Did you know that you can make your own soft serve in about five minutes using only fruit? It’s true! All you have to do is freeze some strawberries and bananas, and you’re halfway to a bowl of yummy homemade ice cream. During the process, frozen bananas become soft and creamy when blended in a food processor, then, when you add frozen strawberries, it helps make it a fruity, flavorful treat!
This is a perfect, lighter and healthier way to treat yourself to something sweet after a long, hot day. Here’s how you make it!
Crazy Easy Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
Makes: 2 servings
- 2 ripe bananas, broken into pieces and frozen
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and frozen
1) Place the strawberries and banana chunks into the basin of a food processor.
2) Turn the food processor on high, and the fruit will begin to break up. It won’t look anything like ice cream at first.
3) Keep the food processor running, scraping down the sides if chunks get stuck, and after a few more minutes, the fruit chunks will get much smaller.
4) Eventually the mixture will start to come together—like making a dough.
5) Run the food processor for a few more seconds until you get the desired consistency. I like a thicker, scoopable ice cream, but you can also keep it running for a softer, creamier end product.
6) Scoop into bowls and serve! I like topping mine with a sprinkle of unsweetened coconut.
Nutrition info per serving: 128 calories, 0.2g fat, 32.4g carbs, 1.6g protein