Sandwiches are a quick and easy meal option for just about any time of day – lunch, dinner, you name it. Even breakfast menus have been infiltrated with something resembling a sandwich made up of eggs and bacon smashed between two pieces of non-complex carbohydrates. And that’s exactly my point because how can you be sure that what you’re eating won’t bust your calorie bank? We’ve got your short and sweet answer!
1. Identify an Appropriate Vehicle
It would be great if we could prepare our sandwiches on croissants, biscuits, or ciabatta rolls everyday; but this just isn’t realistic. These options contain nearly double or more of the amount of calories as a single piece of bread. Make it plain and simple most days by selecting whole wheat bread or tortillas to hold your sandwich’s contents. Or better yet, go naked, and use deli meat to form a sandwich wrap (see recipe below)!
2. Source Your Protein
Be smart when it comes to your protein source. Choose lean sources of protein like turkey and chicken to limit fat intake. Low-fat dairy may also serve as a great source of protein. For the vegetarians and vegans out there, try tofu, hummus, and nut butters to bump up the protein on your sandwich! Though, keep in mind that nut butters are high in calories!
3. Protect Yourself From Condiments
This is where things can get sticky, quite literally. Examine the nutritional facts label, paying particular attention to calorie count and serving size, then squeeze or spread the condiments accordingly. For more nutrition options think whole foods like hummus or guacamole in place of mayo or cream cheese based spread.
Try this one out for taste…
Naked Turkey Sandwich
We’re calling it quits with the bread and using turkey instead!
- 2 Slices Deli Smoked Turkey – 120 calories
- 2 tbsp Hummus – 70 calories
- 1/3 cup Fresh Spinach or Greens – 10 calories
- ½ Avocado (sliced) – 140 calories
- 3-4 Rings Red Onion – 10 calories
- ½ Apple (sliced) – 40 calories
- Lay slices of turkey flat on plate or cutting board and spread with hummus.
- Layer turkey with spinach, sliced avocado, red onion rings, and apple slices.
- Fold in ends of turkey and roll from one edge forming a wrap. Seal with toothpicks. Cut in half if desired.
Total Approximate Calories: 390 calories