Creating a healthy and energy-sustaining smoothie is all about pumping up the protein and fat. This means turning to some ingredients that aren’t solely fruit, liquid, and ice. Don’t get me wrong, I love fruit. I could eat fruit all day. But the energy you get from just fruit isn’t going to last you all day–it’s mostly sugar, with a side of fiber. So consider incorporating protein in the form of powders or nut butters into your smoothie, this will help build, repair, and maintain muscle. Then add some healthy fats for the ultimate satiating smoothie!
Take this Protein Packed Pina Kale-ada Smoothie for instance. You’re likely intrigued by the name already. It’s winter for most of us, but we’ll be drinking healthy protein smoothies like we’re in the tropics. This smoothie has many things going for it:
- Kale. We’ve talked about this being a superfood. So why not incorporate it into everything?
- Avocado. Healthy fats. Adds a creaminess factor to the smoothie. Win-win.
- Pineapple. A tropical fruit and excellent source of manganese and vitamin C.
- Protein Powder. Gives this smoothie a protein packed punch!
Protein Packed Pina Kale-ada Smoothie
- 1 cup milk (cow’s, almond, coconut, your choice)
- 2 handfuls kale (~1 cup)
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
Combine ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Add additional milk as needed to achieve desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts (1 serving): 395 Calories, 14g Total Fat (2g Sat Fat), 54g Carbohydrate (12g Fiber, 25g Sugar), 1300 mg Potassium