Well, we’ve done it again. Spring’s almost here (thanks a lot, global warming) and many of us are still in hoodie-and-stretch-pants mode. Some call it procrastination. I simply adhere to the notion of seasonal comfort… and Oreos and Netflix marathons. Regardless, it’s starting to get warmer, spring break trips are looming, and opportunities to cover up holiday indulgences with a conveniently-padded winter jacket will soon come to an end. The best time to commit to change was yesterday. But today works, too! And while we may not be quite ready for spring or swimsuits, it’s better late than never. So if you didn’t tackle our “8 Weeks to a Better Spring Break Body” fitness plan, check out these top tips to fake it until you make it!
Last-Minute Spring Break Tips
1. Master the art of photography.
Maybe she’s born with it… maybe it’s a bunch of camera tricks.
- Minimize a double-chin by elongating your neck and snapping pictures using your camera at a downward angle.
- Banish weird shadows and add definition by using a good light source.
- Try different poses! We’re made up of different shapes; some of us have full faces, while others have pointy chins. Some have doe-eyes, and others, wide noses. Experiment to see which angle works best for you.
- Tone arms instantly by cropping them completely out of an image!
- When all else fails, use filters. [Personal] studies show, Instagram’s Valencia filter makes me look at least three times less tired and 1.4 times more approachable. Yay, science!
2. Use clothing to create a svelte silhouette.
- Elongate legs by pairing dark, simple denim pants with heels. Stay away from embellishments and styles with a bunch of pockets.
- Eliminate bulk by wearing forgiving fabrics: cotton, cotton/spandex blends, and jersey (cotton). Did I mention cotton? We can reintroduce other fabrics in due time—but for now, it’s pretty much cotton. We did this to ourselves, folks.
- Wear clothes that fit. Muffins don’t cause muffin-top—trying to shoe-horn ourselves into our summer clothes when it’s mid-February— that causes muffin-top. For times that require something more stylish than my “I love tacos!” t-shirt and sweat-pant combo, I keep one pair of “post-holiday” jeans and several flowy dresses on hand.
- Sport a deep-V, which elongates your torso. People like me—who have a little more junk in the trunk and thunder in the thighs—may choose to use a wider V-neckline, which will help balance our “voluptuous” proportions. Rawr!
3. Two words: Spray tan.
Tanned skin helps cover up unwanted imperfections and adds definition (even if it does come from a bottle). They say spray tanning is safer than the traditional alternative. Make it feel like the real thing by popping a vitamin D3 supplement before application. YOLO!
4. Ignore everything I’ve said and just rock it.
Give yourself a break! You’re just waking up from what was essentially a three-month-long human hibernation (five months if you live north of the Mason-Dixon). The past quarter has been cold and dark. 30 degree-days? No thanks! You want a spring break body? You can achieve this in two easy steps:
a. Have a body…
b. … during the spring time.