Good news: It’s possible to have a healthy, filling, delicious meal without using a lick of heat! No oven. No stove. No grill. Nothing to heat you or your house up during this sweltering time.
You’ve probably already gotten your fill of no-cook classics like sandwiches and salads, but have you tried your hand at no-cook soup? It might sound weird, but chilled soups are a cool, refreshing, and surprisingly filling option for the dog days of summer. And the best part: you can have your soup done, start to finish, in the amount of time it would normally take you to preheat your oven.
This spicy, latin-inspired avocado soup is a great way to dip your toes into the energizing waters of chilled soups. It’s ready in 10 minutes, and it’s packed with healthy fats, loads of protein, and tons of fresh, summery flavor. If this soup is a little too light for you, pair it with a healthy sandwich or hearty salad to round out the meal. Now that’s how you do a no-cook meal right!
Chilled Avocado and Yogurt Soup
Makes 4 servings
- 3 large, ripe avocados
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cup 2% or full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2-1 jalapeño (remove seeds and membranes for less heat)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- More cilantro and avocado chunks for garnish
Combine all ingredients in the basin of a high-speed blender. Blend on high until very smooth and creamy. Pour into serving bowls, and serve immediately, or chill until cold, about 20 minutes.
- If you aren’t a big fan of spicy, only use half a jalapeño, and remove all seeds and membranes before using. Love the heat? Lop off the stem of the pepper and drop the rest into the blender.
- Don’t be afraid of fat! This recipe is packed with healthy fat (from the avocado and Greek yogurt), and while yes, fat does equal more calories, it also equals a more satisfying and filling meal. A small bowl of this soup will be surprisingly satisfying!
Nutrition Per Serving
387 calories, 31.6g fat, 17.0g carbs, 13.4g protein