Ring in Memorial Day with a delicious paleo apple pie! Paleo recipes are beneficial for a number of reasons:
- They eliminate refined sugars which contribute no nutritional value to our diet
- They are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, and corn free (for all you restricted eaters)
- They utilize unique and healthy ingredients like almond flour and coconut oil
This amazing recipe for paleo apple pie tart will provide the same great taste as a traditional apple pie – without the added guilt. Plus, it’s geared towards beginner bakers. Pie crusts made from scratch can be finicky and time consuming but not this tart crust – just mix, press, and bake!
Paleo Apple Pie Tart
- 3 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup (gluten free, sugar free) jam or preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust, combine almond flour and salt in large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, stir melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Add coconut oil and maple syrup to dry ingredients, mixing until combined. Press dough into a 9 inch greased tart pan covering bottom and sides. Pierce crust with a fork several times before baking for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and press down any areas that bubbled.
- For the filling, peel and thinly slice 4 apples Combine maple syrup, lemon juice and cinnamon, then pour mixture over apples. Spread apples over tart crust. Bake for 30 minutes, sprinkle with sliced almonds, and then bake another 30 minutes or until the apples are soft and slightly brown.
- Complete with glaze by combining jam and water in a small pan, heating on low until mixture has thinned. Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Brush tart with glaze and serve.