Cheers to longer days and fun nights! If you’re imbibing adult beverages, keep in mind that a few smart choices and substitutions can easily cut back on the sugar and calories, but still deliver.
Mojitos are a prime example. Rather than grabbing a beer, rum & Coke, or high-calorie cocktail, choose something like this with a zero-calorie mixer. You’re off to an even better start because fresh ingredients are involved, it’s easy to make, and you can add in your favorite fruit to tailor the drink and reduce the sugar substitute even more.
Note: Sugar is a key component to releasing the mint flavor in mojitos, so give special attention to the muddling portion of this healthier mojito recipe. Really smash those leaves!
Fresh Fruit Mojito Recipe
Makes 1 drink
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 6-8 mint leaves
- 1.5 ounce light rum
- 1 Tablespoon sugar substitute
- Fresh fruit
- Club Soda
- Put the mint, lime juice, fruit and sweetener into the bottom of a highball glass.
- Mash the ingredients together using a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Fill the glass ¾ full with ice.
- Add the rum and top with club soda.
- Stir and enjoy!
You’ll end up just over 100 calories, which is a steal compared to most cocktails. Cheers!