With summer sadly coming to a close, take advantage of this opportunity to use up (and cherish!) one of the season’s homegrown or farmers’ market all-stars. Every now and then it’s okay to be a little naughty and treat yourself to something special, especially if there’s fresh produce involved that helps you reach your 5-a-day fruit and vegetable goal, and won’t leave you feeling overly guilty! Recipe tweaks can also help you with that. This Strawberry Shortcake recipe takes a healthier spin on highlighting this delicious summer fruit.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 ½ cups blanched almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup honey
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup finely chopped strawberries
(plus extra whole strawberries for garnishing)
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line a standard muffin tin with baking cups.
- Combine honey, coconut oil, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest using a hand mixer or standing mixer. Mix on medium speed for ~30 seconds or until frothy and smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on high for ~30-45 seconds. Batter should be smooth.
- Gently fold in chopped strawberries using a spatula.
- Divide batter evenly into the muffin tins, about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely. (Refrigerate cupcakes if not serving immediately.)
- To prepare frosting, whip one can of coconut cream with vanilla and honey on high for 2 minutes using a stand or hand mixer. Refrigerate 1 hour. Remove and whip again until it forms stiff peaks (~1 minute).
- Assemble shortcake, frosting, and more strawberries as you’d like!