We’re closing in on Cinco de Mayo and Memorial Day, so it will soon be weekend-after-weekend of get-togethers, barbecues, pitch-ins, and picnics!
Healthy food options are never guaranteed at these events so it’s always recommend to bring your own nutritious dish. It assures you and your party will have something to nosh on and it’s a great way to share your favorite healthy foods with your friends and family!
Prepare to dance your best two step for this popular Cowboy Caviar! It’s super versatile - serve with a big bag of tortilla chips, enjoy as a great side salad, or devour it as a salsa on top of tacos or salads. The rainbow of colors and textures radiating from this salad spotlight its abundance of nutrients. Get this: each large serving gives you 70% of your Vitamin C, 16.4 grams of vegetarian protein, and 13 grams of dietary fiber. Now let’s get the party started!
Homemade 3-Bean Cowboy Caviar
Makes 16–1/2 cup servings
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced finely
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1-16 ounce package frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a very large bowl, combine the black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, red onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, jalapeño, cilantro, and frozen corn. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt, cumin, and black pepper. Pour dressing over bean mixture, and toss to coat.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving.
- Streamline the chopping process by using a food processor.
- The flavors of this salad just get better and better the longer it chills—for best flavor, make it the day before your pitch-in.
Nutritional info per ½ cup serving: 308 calories, 4.2g fat, 54.1g carbs (13g fiber), 16.4g protein
What’s your favorite healthy party dish?
Share your recipe with us in the comments!