Just as we share stories at family gatherings, we share recipes as well. And there’s always a recipe that was your grandmother’s signature holiday recipe that she learned from her mother and has been passed down through generations. These family recipes still grace our holiday tables.
Now, more than ever, the food focus has turned to making these old time classics with a health-conscious twist. The trick is to start with fresh, wholesome foods — like this recipe. And this recipe is definitely ancient… ancient grains that is — and it’s also one of my healthiest (and may I say simplest) holiday side dishes, full of nothing but delectable ingredients!
Pomegranate Quinoa Holiday Salad
- 10 ounces mixed salad greens, chopped
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (see package directions)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 4 ounces goat cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Coarsely chop almonds.
- Peel the pomegranate by cutting off top and bottom. Score the skin of the pomegranate into quarters using a sharp knife. Crack apart quarters and remove seeds into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make dressing by combining vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper with wire whisk.
- In a large bowl combine prepared salad greens and quinoa. Stir in pomegranate seeds and 1/2 of almonds. Toss with desired amount of dressing. Top with remaining almonds and serve.
Nutrition Information: 177 Calories • 11g Total Fat (1g Saturated Fat) • 17g Carbohydrate (3g Fiber, 5g Sugar) • 4g Protein