Nothing screams “FALL IS HERE” like the reintroduction of pumpkin flavored hot beverages at your favorite coffee shop. In fact, I am convinced (whether people want to admit it or not) that we look forward to the end of summer BECAUSE it means pumpkin spice lattes and chai teas are on the menu.
Unfortunately, all I see when these seasonally appropriate beverages creep back onto menus is sugar, sugar, SUGAR. It’s true, specialty drinks such as these a known for being calorie bank busters. Take for example, several pumpkin themed drinks from top coffee chains (we won’t name names)…
- Pumpkin Ginger Latte (12oz, non-fat milk): 280 calories | 1.5g fat | 56g carbs | 51g sugar
- Pumpkin Spice Latte (8oz, non-fat milk): 130 calories | 0g fat | 25g carbs | 24g sugar
- Pumpkin Chai Latte (12oz, non-fat milk): 145 calories | 0g fat | 30g carbs | 29g sugar
*note differences in serving sizes
You see my point?
High sugar and sometimes high calorie. And that’s with non-fat milk. Plus I looked at some ingredients and they didn’t even include real PUMPKIN!
You can do so much better. Making your own can be simple (and in this case slimming).
Healthy Pumpkin Chai Tea Latte
- 3 teabags chai tea
- ¾ cup of hot water
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups of milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey
- Sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Steep tea bags in hot water for 6 minutes. Squeeze tea bags upon removal to get full flavor.
- Whisk tea concentrate with pumpkin puree using a wire whisk. Divide into two cups.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk of choice, vanilla extract, and honey until almost boiling. Pour evenly between existing cups.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.