Easter = the brunch I look forward to all year!
I’ve always been all about the real eggs – scrambled, deviled, hard-boiled, or in a quiche. You can’t go wrong combining this lean source of protein with some healthy veggies for the perfect Easter meal. Put down the peeps and pick up a piece of this delish quiche!
Spinach, Mushroom, and Asparagus Quiche
Difficulty: Medium (but totally worth it)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup organic butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup water
- sprinkle of salt
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 8 stalks asparagus, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced mushroom
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach
- 10 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sift flour and salt into medium bowl.
- In tablespoon increments, add room temperature butter to flour mixture and cut in using pastry cutter or fork.
- Slowly drizzle water and work into flour until dough forms.
- Place in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Heat tablespoon of oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute in oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir 1-2 minutes.
- Add asparagus and mushrooms, sauteing 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach 1-2 minutes or until spinach has wilted slightly.
- In a medium bowl, crack eggs, and whisk until combined.
- After 1 hour, roll out dough on floured surface with rolling pin or press crust into pie plate.
- Pour sauteed veggies into pie plate and spread evenly. Top with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F, then lower oven to 350F and continue to bake for another 20 min or until egg mixture is set.
Nutrition Facts (per serving): 285 calories, 21g total fat (10g saturated fat), 13g carbohydrate (2g fiber, 1g sugar), 13g protein