It’s hot. Really hot. And when it’s this hot, who wants to pump even more heat into their house by turning on the stove? Not us! That’s why we’re all about the grill right now. Not only does it add tons of flavor to food, but it keeps the heat outside—perfect for July.
If you’re new to cooking healthy on the grill, you’ll be glad to hear that it’s a breeze! Veggies and lean meats cook up beautifully on the grill. Starting with a chicken kebab like this is a great way to get your feet wet with healthy grilling.
Chicken kebabs (also called soulvlaki) are a popular Greek street food consisting of marinated meat grilled and served on a skewer. This recipe healthifies the fast food standard by adding in seasonal veggies and serving it up with whole grain pita bread and a yogurt-based cucumber sauce. Think it sounds complicated to make Greek food at home? It isn’t! This whole recipe comes together in under 30 minutes. And it’s simple enough anyone can make it.
Grilled Greek Chicken Kebabs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large yellow summer squash, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Warmed whole grain pita bread, for serving
- Store-bought or homemade cucumber-yogurt sauce (called tzatziki), for serving
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, oregano, garlic salt, and pepper. Add in the chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, preheat the grill to medium-high. If using wooden skewers, soak in water to prevent burning.
- Once chicken is done marinating, thread a piece of chicken, followed by a piece of zucchini, a piece of squash, and a piece of onion onto a skewer. Continue pattern until skewer is filled. Repeat with remaining ingredients until all are used. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place kebabs on preheated grill, and grill for 3-4 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are just fork tender. Remove from grill and serve with pita and tzatziki sauce.
Nutrition Per Serving
Does not include pita or tzatziki sauce.
232 calories, 12.7g fat, 7.4g carbs, 22.7g protein