Game-day eats aren’t really known for their health value. But with a few swaps, you can make your favorite snack foods healthier and still please all your guests watching the big game. Take the perennial game-day classic Buffalo Chicken Dip. It’s such a crowd-pleaser! But made the regular way, it’s a super heavy appetizer without a lot of nutritional value.
To make it healthier, we subbed in protein-packed Greek yogurt and lighter Neufchâtel cheese, and stuck with all-white-meat chicken. And don’t forget the dippers! Crackers and chips are fine, in moderation, but making it through four hours of game-play (and commercials and half-time shows) and keeping your hand out of the chip bowl is tricky. Instead, we recommend you serve this with celery sticks—the crisp, cool celery is a perfect complement to the spicy, creamy dip. And you get a veggie serving!
You can make this dip in the oven, but the slow cooker keeps the dip warm, creamy, and ready for guests at any time. Plus, you get to spend less time in the kitchen and more time watching your team win, right?!
Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip
Serves 12 (about a 1/2 cup serving)
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 4 ounces Neufchâtel cheese (often sold as “1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese”)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (add more for a spicier dip)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Celery sticks, for serving
- Place the chicken breast, cream cheese, blue cheese, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and buffalo wing sauce in the basin of a slow cooker. Cook on high for 1-2 hours, or until the cream cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.
- Reduce the slow cooker to as low as it will go (the “warm” setting is best, if your slow cooker has one).
- Shred the chicken using forks. Add in the Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with celery sticks for dipping.
Nutrition Per Serving
Does not include crackers or other dippers.
147 calories, 7.6g fat, 2.4g carbs, 16.0g protein