What to do, what to do, after presents are opened and the big meal is served? Get moving! It’s often easier said than done, though, especially during holiday breaks when sedentary ways are practically tradition. You can increase your odds of getting groups moving by gathering a few ideas and equipment (if needed) beforehand, to make sure you’re raring to go on the actual day. Establishing teams or a competitive bracket make it even more fun! So do invites that include the actual activity listed, so everyone is prepared to join in.
Get Moving at Home
- Download Ellen’s HeadsUp game & split into teams
- Play an indoor game like pool, foosball or ping pong
- Help the kids (and adults!) put on a mini talent show
- Organize a raucous game of spoons or other active card game
- Lower the stress level with a little self-led yoga
- Fit in bodyweight exercises during the game’s commercial breaks
- Hold a plank competition, head-to-head, or group style
- Play Wii Fit or another interactive video game
Use what Mother Nature gave you to unify the group and get in some steps and fresh air!
- Take a group walk, hike, run, or bike ride
- Create a bracket for a yard game like bags or Cowboy Golf
- Organize a game of flag football, kickball, or other sport
- Play tag, capture the flag, or other youth games
- Head to the park or a local landmark
- Split into teams for an interactive local scavenger hunt
Hit The Gym
Rain or shine, holiday or not, Anytime Fitness is open 24/7! This could be a great opportunity to bring friends and family in for a free 7-day trial pass if they don’t have a membership of their own. Either way, working out is more fun with company, so here are some ideas.
- Create your own group circuit
- Team up for some buddy exercises
- Take a virtual fitness class* together
- Try something totally new, like a Surfset Class*
*Equipment varies at Anytime Fitness gyms. Please check with your local club.