Finding an exercise routine that works for you is an incredible feeling. Nothing beats being motivated to lace up your sneakers and get to work. But we’re all human—sometimes you just are not feeling it.
As passionate as we are about getting in shape at Anytime Fitness, we’ve all been there! That’s why we’ve compiled our favorite motivational tips, so you can get ready to rock even on the most “meh” days.
- Listen to your favorite tunes. You’re probably no stranger to listening to music while you’re doing your favorite exercises, but you can use it for so much more!
Listening to an upbeat mix while you’re getting ready or driving to the gym will make you feel unstoppable by the time you walk through that door. Whether you curate your own tunes or listen to pre-made playlists, finding a pump-up soundtrack for your pre-workout routine gets you ready to go before your warm-up even begins.
- Shake up your schedule. We’ve all heard the advice about keeping yourself on a schedule when it comes to working out. We totally agree, but if your lifestyle has changed, you might consider changing up your gym time, too!
Maybe a promotion and long hours at the office have made it too easy to talk yourself out of going after work—try a week of morning exercise! Or maybe you’ve been sticking with a Mon/Wed/Fri schedule, but now Wednesdays are crazy—switch to Tues/Thurs/Sat and see how it goes! Your gym time should complement your life, so play around a bit and find what works for you.
- Don’t get stuck. Just because it’s exercise doesn’t mean it can’t be exciting! If you’ve been dreading the gym lately, you might be in a workout rut.
If you’re in a strict treadmill-to-free weights routine or can’t remember the last time you tried a new machine, it’s time to add some pizazz! Hop on a spin bike, try kettlebells for the first time or conquer your fear of our TRX equipment. It’s easy to fall into the same ol’ routine, but getting your gusto back might be as simple as getting out of your comfort zone! And mixing things up regularly makes it less likely that you’ll get bored.
- Surround yourself with inspo. You look at hundreds of surfaces a day, so why not use them to your advantage? Stash inspirational notes anywhere you look often—from your bathroom mirror to your desk at work.
“Out of sight, out of mind” is a saying for a reason, so keeping your motivation (literally) right in front of you will make sure you’re always reminded of your goals.
- Treat your workout like a gift. Self-love and self-care are popular buzzwords, but they’re also very real and very powerful when it comes maintaining positive health and wellness. And appreciating your hard work and taking care of yourself never goes out of style!
The language surrounding exercise is often negative: You “have to” work out or “make yourself” go for a run. Flipping your mindset might be as simple as flipping your wording around! Frame your workout as something you get to do instead of as a chore.
Your body is an amazing system and you’re working hard—don’t be bashful about congratulating yourself and recognizing that you’re doing amazing.