Refueling post-workout is crucial. Not only does it help your body recover and repair, but a small snack also helps you reap the benefits of your hard work. Of course, if you’re just cruising for an hour or taking a walk around the block, a post workout snack won’t be necessary. But, if you’re hitting the weights or engaging in a high intensity cardio workout, a small snack around 250 calories or with a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein within 20-30 minutes of your workout is a must!
Here are 5 spring snacks for your next workout:
- Spring Sipper – a green smoothie is always in season, but adding coconut water definitely ups the spring time feel! Combine a banana, handful of blueberries, kale, spinach, and coconut water, plus 1 serving of Skoop for a great post workout smoothie.
- Chunky Monkey Fruit Popsicles – frozen fruit tops everyone’s list for spring time snacks; the temperature will help you cool down and the fruit will boost your mood and quiet your belly. Combine white grape juice and white honey (or stevia). Cut up mangoes, kiwis, blueberries, cherries, strawberries. Pack a popsicle mold full of the cut fruit and add the liquid. Freeze, and voila, it’s ready to grab after a workout.
- Rolled Up Recovery – a small sandwich prepared ahead of time makes a great post workout snack. Ditch the bread and roll up avocado, heirloom tomatoes, and goat cheese inside sliced turkey for a great post workout sandwich on the go.
- Greek Grab & Go – combine Greek yogurt with fresh strawberries, blackberries, granola, and chia seeds for a post workout snack that feels more like dessert than mandatory refueling. Adding chia seeds will provide a healthy dose of antioxidants, calcium, iron, omega-3s ,and protein.
- Ants on a Log + Milk – perhaps the ‘cutest’ of all the snacks, ants on a log, is always a crowd pleaser for the entire family. Cut celery in half and add natural peanut butter or almond butter. Then top with sliced red grapes, raisins, or cranberries. Grab a small glass of milk to wash it down for the perfect post workout snack!