5ks can be a lot of fun when you explore a new area, support a good cause, or get a group to run together. But you know what’s even more fun? Running that far and completing really fun, muddy obstacles along the way! Since 2009, over two and a half million people have participated in Warrior Dash races that have revolutionized the 5k. If you’re ready to join Warrior Nation, we’ve got just the fitness plan to get you ready.
Whether you’re new to fitness and using the Warrior Dash as your first big goal or you’re an athlete looking for your next challenge, you can do this! But, it will be way more fun if you put a little bit of effort into prepping for the big day. Our Warrior Dash Training Plan is a four-week program designed with the demands of the event in mind. Of course, feel free to train longer than 4 weeks if you can. Please note, this program was not designed to take you directly from the couch to the course; a base level of fitness will be needed.
Warrior Dash Training Workouts
Follow the suggested workout type and duration each day. Of course, if you need to change the days a certain workout occurs, that’s not a problem. Simply try to accumulate the recommended total volume every 7 days.
Here is a breakdown of the different types of workouts you’ll find in the training program:
- Strength Training (Week 1, 2, 3 & 4): Ditch the cardio for a day every week and focus on strengthening your entire body—head to toe. You will complete the workouts in circuit fashion (minimal rest between exercises), but focus on good form and using a weight that is challenging. Depending on your time, you may complete the circuit 1, 2, or 3 times.
- Core & Flexibility Training: Core and flexibility are an important component of any training program. This quick, 25-minute workout will strengthen your core and help to keep you injury-free. The exercises provided are also suitable to add on to any of the other workouts you do throughout the week. If you have the time, we’d suggest trying to sneak this workout in at least one more time per week than prescribed.
- Cardio & Strength (Circuit 1 & 2): Our Cardio + Strength workouts are specific to prepping for the Warrior Dash. This workout will test your limits with “obstacles” that simulate the crawling, jumping, pushing, pulling, agility, and balance you’ll need to make it through the race. After each obstacle, you’ll also be asked to run to build tolerance. Don’t worry; the first time you get on the treadmill in between the obstacles you might not be moving very fast or covering much ground. But as you become conditioned, you’ll start to look forward to the challenge!
- Cardio: The Warrior Dash is an endurance event sprinkled with crazy obstacles. It’s important to establish a good base level of cardiovascular endurance. Running would be a good suggestion for cardio days, though you may choose an alternative cardio option if you’re dealing with nagging pains or want to put a bit less stress on your body. Aim to complete the suggested duration at a moderate to hard intensity. You should still be able to talk, though not comfortably.
- Active Recovery: Your body needs time to rest, recover, and integrate the work you are doing during your more active days. We have lots of ideas for your active rest days.
Interactive Fitness Plan
Use our interactive tool to get an overall guide regarding what you should be doing and for how long, and click on any day to view the recommended workout or learn more about the category. Any day is a great day to start this 4-week plan! See a preview below.
*Times listed each day are minimums. Everyone’s starting point and abilities are different, so do what you can to begin and then build from there. You’ll be progressing in no time.Visit The Warrior Dash Training Plan
Want to create your own plan?
Use our blank 2016 calendar for more customization. And feel free to reach out to your nearest Anytime Fitness to work with a trainer to design a fitness plan that’s specific to your own abilities and limitations.