Mexican cuisine gets a lot of flack for being hard to make — and hard to make healthy. But it doesn’t have to be. You can prepare a batch of flavorful, healthy, vegetarian fajitas in about 15 minutes—with only eight ingredients—and it won’t wreck all the hard work you put into eating healthy.
We kept these fajitas simple and easy, but they’re totally adaptable. Looking for a more protein-packed version? Try sauteing a chicken breast, tofu cubes, or black beans along with the veggies. Want more toppings? Add a dollop of low fat Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of Monterey Jack cheese. Want even more veggies? Try sauteed zucchini or sweet potatoes. Like spice? Add your favorite salsa or hot sauce. You can really personalize these fajitas!
8-Ingredient Meatless Fajitas
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 portabella mushroom caps, cut into strips
- 2 large bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, cut into strips
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add in the mushroom slices, pepper strips and onion and cook until the veggies are soft and the mushrooms have released most of their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the taco seasoning and cook for a few more minutes (add a few tablespoons of water if the mixture is too thick). Remove from heat.
- To form fajitas, layer some of the veggie strips in a tortilla, sprinkle with the cilantro and serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
Serving Size: 2 fajitas | Servings per Recipe: 4
Nutrition Per Serving: 342 calories, 9.2g fat, 56g carbs, 11.4g protein