For outdoor enthusiasts, a campsite is like a favorite hotel. What more do you need than a tent, sleeping bag, and a good campfire to enjoy the beauty of nature?
However, when it comes to food, camping gets a bad rap. Camp food is often thought of as unhealthy, full of excess sodium and sugar. So today, I’ll share some healthy on-the-go snack ideas and an easy meal recipe to try on your next camping trip!
Remember, every good vacation requires some degree of planning. Here are some quick and easy eats that can be prepped and placed in the cooler:
- Homemade energy bars
- Homemade trail mixes or granolas
- Fresh cut fruits and veggies
- Salad in a jar
- Hard boiled eggs
- Dried jerky
The true (outdoor) culinary magic is this Campfire Chicken Gyros which is sure to bring a little culture and creativity to your campsite.
Campfire Chicken Gyros
Be sure to set aside room in your cooler for the chicken and other refrigerated items!
- 2 chicken breasts (~1 lb)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 whole wheat pitas
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 stalk romaine lettuce, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Your choice of tzatziki sauce from your local grocer
I recommend combining all spices in a single container prior to departure!
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and black pepper
- Slice chicken breast into 1-inch pieces (strips or cubes, whichever you prefer).
- Place chicken in marinating bag with olive oil and spices. Mix in bag until chicken is evenly coated with marinade. Marinate for as long as possible before cooking.
Tip: complete steps 1-2 above prior to departure to save time and get extra chicken marination!
- Transfer chicken to several tin foil packets, sealing and placing over campfire or grill. Cook through, usually about 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken breasts reaches 165 degrees F. While chicken is cooking prepare vegetables.
- Assemble: Load pita with chicken, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Wrap in foil and warm over fire if desired. Add in tzatziki sauce before serving.
What’s your favorite camp food?
Share in the comments!