Have you ever felt like there’s a workout beast lurking inside you? Has the feeling ever been so intense that your regular routine just doesn’t cut it? Well you’ve come to the right spot. Get ready to attack your next workout like a raging wolverine!
With the release of Marvel’s latest X-Men saga, “The Wolverine” comes a tale where we see our hero out of his comfort zone as he fights for his life while struggling with intense vulnerability that weighs in on every move he makes. Which also sums up our Wolverine workout.
This workout is a war against sweat and failure. Each “battle station” carries a unique challenge that will leave you feeling like the superhero you truly are.
- 1 pair of 5lb – 10lb dumbbells
- 1 “no bounce” ball or padded medicine ball (for slamming)
- 1 barbell with a weight of your choice
- 1 BOSU ball
- 1 TRX strap
Follow the instructions of each “Battle” before moving on to the next. Once you’ve completed them all start again from the top. Go 3 times through for an “X-Men Express” or 4-5 times through for a “Loaded Logan’s Run.”
Battle 1 – Dumbbell Punches + Burpees
- Take your dumbbells, raise them up in a “boxers” punching position, and alternate 10 rapid fire (yet controlled) punches.
- After 10 punches, utilize the dumbbells as handles as you do 5 burpees.
Repeat this battle 6 times before moving on. You better hustle, BUB!
Battle 2 – Rage Smashes + Beast Bounders
- Take your padded medicine ball (or “no bounce” ball), make sure you’ve got some clear space to let loose, and slam that ball down to the ground with all the force you’ve got.
- After 10 “Rage Smashes” grab your TRX and set up for some squats. Do a full squat using the handles as your guide and EXPLODE upwards jumping as high as you can.
Repeat these 3 times.
Battle 3 – Claw Rows + Mountain Climbers + Statue of Liberty
- Grab your TRX and get in a “row” position. Make sure your feet are a little farther back than normal as you bring your arms out making a “T.” Keep them fully extended the entire time while maintaining tension on the TRX. Then control your way back to the start.
- After 10 of those, 30 seconds of mountain climbers!
- Once that’s completed, lay down on the ground holding one dumbbell straight up to the ceiling. Now, stand up! There’s a twist though… the dumbbell must stay DIRECTLY up towards the ceiling as you stand and must stay the same way when you lay back down. You also cannot use ANY momentum (i.e. body rolling) to get to a standing position.
Go through this station 4 times.
Battle 4 – Adamantium Planks + Rifle Lunges
- Get in a straight arm plank position. Have your feet on the BOSU (black side up) with your toes in a wide stance. Hold for 30 seconds.
- Grab your barbell for some lunges! Hold it straight above your head with your arms fully extended as you do 10 lunges with each leg.
Repeat this entire battle 2 times.
When you’re done, be sure to shout your fiercest “AhhOOO!” because at this point you earned it!
Who is your favorite X-Men or Superhero?
Image credit: The Wolverine Movie