There’s nothing better than a big side of grilled summer vegetables cooked to perfection served with some grilled salmon. Sounds good, right? My favorite part: the clean up is MUCH easier than cooking on stovetop. And there is just something about grilled vegetables that brings out the flavors with a hint of char. Today, we are grilling veggies with my favorite method: foil packet.
Grilled Summer Veggies
Supplies & Ingredients
- 4 cups of summer veggies, evenly chopped (I used asparagus, tomatoes, and onion)
- 2-4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) garlic, minced
- Optional add in: 2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 sheets of aluminum foil
- Begin by chopping all the vegetables into similar sized pieces. This will ensure that they cook evenly.
- In order to make 2 vegetable foil packets, you’ll need a total of 4 sheets of foil. Take 2 sheets and overlap them. Do this one more time. Drizzle on about 1 Tablespoon of EVOO on top of each duo. Then, place half the veggies on each and drizzle on another Tablespoon of EVOO.
- Season veggies with salt, pepper, and minced garlic. You have the option to add in more flavors. I suggest a balsamic vinegar/soy sauce combo.
- After your vegetables have been seasoned, pull the two short sides of tin foil up, and roll them down over each other to create a foil packet. Then, take the 2 remaining ends and seal them closed. Repeat with the second foil packet.
- Preheat grill to 400F and place foil vegetable packets on the top shelf, so that they are NOT directly on top of the flames. Let packets cook for 25-30 minutes. Periodically open packets to check vegetables for tenderness (You should be able to poke it with a fork easily).
What are your favorite summer veggies?
Photo Credit: Downtown SAC