I’m pretty adventurous when it comes to foods. I’m always ready to dive fork-first into a new item I find on the store shelf. But even considering my culinary weird streak, I was pretty skeptical when I first heard about the concept of black bean brownies.
These unassuming brownies look like regular brownies, but hidden inside are two full cups of cooked black beans. I honestly thought there was no possible way these could be good. I mean, black beans? In brownies? But amazingly enough, there is absolutely no bean-y taste or texture. It’s like the beans totally disappear in the end product!
By adding that hefty dose of pureed black beans, you turn this standard chocolately treat into a protein and fiber powerhouse. I promise you, these fudgy, rich brownies will fool even the least adventurous of eaters.
Fudgy Flourless Black Bean Brownies
Makes 24 Brownies
- Cooking spray
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained well (about one can)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup honey OR 1 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325° and line an 13″ x 9″ pan with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir, until the chocolate is melted completely.
- Stir in the yogurt and set aside. In the basin of a food processor, process the black beans, vanilla extract, salt and about 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture until the beans are very, very smooth, stir into the remaining chocolate mixture, add the walnuts.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until light colored (about 2 minutes) and then add honey or sugar (you can also use an electric mixer for this). Add the egg mixture to the bean and chocolate mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 25-40 minutes or until the brownies are set firm. Let the brownies cool completely before slicing into 24 squares.
Serving Size: 1 brownie | Servings Per Recipe: 24
Calories: 174 | Carbs: 22g (2.1g fiber, 11.4g sugar) | Fat: 8g (3.9g sat, 2.1g mono, 1.6g poly) | Protein: 5g