Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip [vs. Taco Dip]
Face-Off: With more veggies and healthier protein source (hummus), and without the added saturated fat, the Mediterranean 7 layer dip coasts to an easy victory over cream cheese-heavy taco dips.
- 8-oz tub hummus
- 3 ½ oz container tapenade (I used roasted red pepper artichoke)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded spinach
- 4 oz feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe black olives, chopped
- In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread hummus on bottom of 12″ serving platter. Arrange spinach over hummus layer. Spoon tapenade over spinach, leaving a 1″ border.
- Drain excess liquid from tomato mixture and spoon over tapenade leaving a 1″ border. Sprinkle feta over tomato mixture.
- Top with green onions and olives.
Serve with crackers, warm pita, or fresh-cut vegetables.
Yogurt-Feta Dip [vs. Queso Dip]
Face-Off: Talk about a double team. The “happy gut” probiotics of kefir and the cholesterol-lowering effects of chives come together to make an all-star lineup! Yogurt-Feta dip whoops the standard queso dip
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup kefir, shaken
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl.
- Chill before serving.
Serve with crackers, warm pita, or fresh cut vegetables.