You’ve got your bracket all sorted out and it’s a true winner. Now all you need are some healthy snacks to munch on during the games. Prepare these delicious dips for your March Madness gatherings and your friends will be jealous of both your mad cooking and bracket skills.
Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip [vs. Taco Dip]
Face-Off: With more veggies and healthier protein source (hummus), and without the added saturated fat, the Mediterranean 7 layer dip coasts to an easy victory over cream cheese-heavy taco dips.
- 8-oz tub hummus
- 3 ½ oz container tapenade (I used roasted red pepper artichoke)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded spinach
- 4 oz feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe black olives, chopped
- In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread hummus on bottom of 12″ serving platter. Arrange spinach over hummus layer. Spoon tapenade over spinach, leaving a 1″ border.
- Drain excess liquid from tomato mixture and spoon over tapenade leaving a 1″ border. Sprinkle feta over tomato mixture.
- Top with green onions and olives.
Serve with crackers, warm pita, or fresh-cut vegetables.
Yogurt-Feta Dip [vs. Queso Dip]
Face-Off: Talk about a double team. The “happy gut” probiotics of kefir and the cholesterol-lowering effects of chives come together to make an all-star lineup! Yogurt-Feta dip whoops the standard queso dip
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup kefir, shaken
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl.
- Chill before serving.
Serve with crackers, warm pita, or fresh cut vegetables.