Our Thanksgiving celebrations have a tendency to send us in search of a pair pants with an elastic waistband and a little extra give. The whole indulging part is just fine and dandy, but it’s the repercussions of our possibly gluttonous behavior that really take a toll on our bodies. It is our hope that this series of yoga postures helps you to detoxify, digest, and get you back to feeling like the real you.
The truth is, most exercise regimens stimulate the circulatory, digestive, and lymphatic systems, which are crucial components to eliminating toxins from the body. Yoga just does a particularly good job by focusing on lengthening, twisting, and compressing organs to facilitate removal of waste materials more efficiently than your typical cardio or strength training exercise. There are three categories of yoga postures that aid in the detoxification process: twisting postures, inversion postures, and legs up the wall postures. Each class of postures possesses unique benefits to the body’s systems.
- Squeezes abs and organs, stimulating digestion and elimination
- Wrings out toxins to allow fresh oxygen and nutrients to enter
Inversions (head below heart)
- Reverses flow, aiding in circulation of fresh blood and lymph
- Gently tones abs and encourages digestion
Legs up the wall
- Encourages circulation of blood from toes to legs
- Bathes abs in fresh blood, stimulating digestion
From left to right
- Twisting Chair Pose
- Twisting Crescent Lunge
- Dolphin Pose
- Supported Headstand*
- Supported Leg Up Wall Pose
- Leg Up Wall Pose
- Supported Shoulder Stand
- Plow Pose*
- Supine Spinal Twist
So… settle into your down dog and enjoy your zen.
*Please only do these poses if you are an advanced yogi or have assistance from a yoga instructor.