Let’s talk about snacks for a moment, shall we? I’m one of those people that absolutely would not survive without snacks. I don’t usually eat huge meals and I can’t go more than a few hours without eating or I get SUPER crabby. Just ask my hubby! Even when I pack my “lunch,” I usually end up packing a lot of little things that I can snack on over the course of an hour or two, as opposed to one big meal.
As a future Registered Dietitian (RD), I know the importance of choosing healthy snacks and making the most of your calories. I always try to choose snacks that include both protein and carbs– protein to keep me full and carbs to give me energy!
I thought I’d share some healthy snack ideas with you guys today. I’m a vegetarian, so here are some meat-free snack options for you to enjoy!
10 Tasty + Healthy Vegetarian Snacks
- Almonds + Fruit | The nuts are packed with healthy fats that are good for your heart, plus protein and the fruit will give you energy.
- Trailmix | A super easy option that is totally customizable if you make it at home. For protein, choose things like nuts, seeds, roasted chickpeas, etc. and then balance it out with whole grain cereal, crackers and/or dried fruit. Choose unsalted nuts when possible and dried fruit without added sugar.
- Plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola | Greek yogurt is a great source of protein. Grab the plain kind to cut down on added sugars and sweet it naturally with with fresh fruit and a small drizzle of honey. Granola adds an extra crunch, but is a concentrated source of calories and can be high in sugar so only add a sprinkle.
- Hard boiled egg with whole grain crackers | Hard boiled eggs are a great grab and go snack. Cook up a large batch to eat throughout the week as a source of protein and pair it with some 100% whole grain crackers for an energy boost.
- 100% whole wheat toast with nut butter | Nut butters are another source of protein for vegetarians. Choose your favorite and spread it on a slice of toast for a mid-morning treat.
- Bean dip or hummus with fresh veggies | Hummus and bean dip are easy to make at home and totally customizable. Make them spicy, add roasted vegetables, try all kinds of beans…whatever makes you happy. Pair with fresh veggies for dipping.
- Dates stuffed with peanut butter | Dates are naturally sweet and the perfect vehicle for stuffing. Simply slice down the middle, add some peanut butter, and gobble them up in just a few bites!
- Low-fat cottage cheese with tomato slices | Cottage cheese is a great source of protein! Choose low-fat to limit the amount of saturated fat and pair it with some fresh tomato slices.
- Quinoa and roasted veggie bowls | Quinoa is a nutritional powerhouse for everyone but is especially great for vegetarians as a protein source. Cook a big batch on Sunday while you’re roasting a big tray of veggies, then mix the two and portion into snack-sized servings to eat during the week.
- Smoothies | Smoothies are best when you make them yourself and you can control the ingredients. Be brave and add some leafy greens like spinach or kale to your next smoothie. Use frozen fruit like strawberries and bananas to cover the taste and throw in some plain greek yogurt for an added protein boost.
Hopefully this list gave you some new snack ideas! Now you tell me:
What’s your favorite snack?
photo credits: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4