Fall is hands down my favorite season. I’ve come to realize that, as Minnesotans, we spend most of the year either miserably cold or uncomfortably hot so fall is our one reprieve—a treat from nature that we remember fondly when we’re waist deep in a snow bank. Besides the blissfully perfect weather, fall offers up some of the most nutritious and versatile produce—a foodie’s dream.
Selecting produce is much like selecting a mate. You want it to look a certain way, encourage you to try new things, and most importantly, leave you feeling satisfied. Are we naïve to think that we can find all of that in one place? If only there were an online match service to help you find that perfect one…
A match service for the health nut. Find the perfect produce for you.
With both a sweet and savory side, I live life with a lot of spice. My bright orange appearance is a dead giveaway that my wealth of antioxidants makes me the best match for you. People know me for my generosity, offering up fiber and more than a day’s worth of vitamin A to improve overall health. Being a very active person, my peak training takes place September to December. That said, I like to recover after a hard workout in places that are cool and dry.
I pride myself on being a hard worker. I make it a goal to always give 100% (of the U.S. recommended daily allowance), especially when comes to vitamin A and vitamin C. I suppose you could call me a workaholic. My work focuses on protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and synthesis of collagen to limit skin wrinkling. However, too much work can leave me feeling cut up and cool. That’s why you’ll find me at the top of my game May through October, but on vacation the rest of the year.
Don’t let my tall and lanky exterior fool you, I spend most of my day fighting cancer and heart disease. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no Superman. Just hoping that after a date with me you will be able to see things more clearly. October through April is the perfect time for stargazing, one of favorite activities because I have great night vision. The evenings can be a tad cool for this type of activity, but all you need is a sealable plastic bag and you’re set.
Now that you’ve found true love, what will you do on your first date? Here are some of my favorite recipes for fall produce.
Colorful, cabbage full, carrot full – Skinny Taste recipe
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 mango, not fully ripe
- 3 medium scallions, chopped
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp black and white sesame seeds
- Julienne the mango (cut into strips). Combine with the cabbage, carrots, scallions and toss together in a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, and lime juice; slowly whisk in the oil.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let it sit at least 15-20 minutes to let the dressing soak in.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Pumpkin Protein Shake
Pumpkin Pie minus the crust, plus the cup – PaleOMG recipe
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon nut butter
- 1-2 tablespoons protein powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- dash of ground cloves
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until completely combined.
Fruity take on a classic snack – Smitten Kitten recipe
- 2 cups diced (1/4 inch) cantaloupe (from a 2 1/4-lb piece)
- 1/4 cup diced (1/4 inch) sweet onion or red onion - 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- 1 fresh hot red or green chile (skip the seeds if you want to dim the heat), minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix ingredients and serve immediately.