Did you know that the month of July is peak season for blueberries and that they are actually native to North America? That’s probably why July was declared as National Blueberry Month! About 90% of the world’s supply of blueberries is grown in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, making the month of July the perfect time to stock up!
Here is a delicious gluten-free Lemon Blueberry Muffin recipe that is made with fresh blueberries, lemon zest, Greek yogurt, and topped with a lemon glaze.
Blueberries have the highest amount of antioxidants out of all fruit, are loaded with fiber, and have an extremely low glycemic index. At only 80 calories per cup, blueberries are among the healthiest of the super foods.
Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
Yields ~18 Muffins
- 8T unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2T lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups gluten-free multipurpose flour (blend of white rice flour, whole grain brown rice flour, tapioca – starch, and potato starch)
- 1t. baking powder
- ½t baking soda
- 1/8t salt
- 1 cup of plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1.5 cups of almond milk (or any kind of milk)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a muffin tin with liners and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together softened butter, lemon juice, and sugar. Next, add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Then add the milk, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Then alternate between gluten free multipurpose flour and Greek yogurt. At this point, you may need to add additional milk if the batter is too thick. Finally add berries and give a final mix.
- Scoop batter into the muffin tins and fill about ¾ of the way or almost all the way to the top. *Don’t forget to spray the liners with non-stick cooking spray!
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and spongy to touch.
- 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- ~4T fresh lemon juice
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar and about 4T of fresh lemon juice. You may need to add more sugar depending on your desired consistency.
- Using a spoon, drizzle lemon glaze on top of cooled muffins.
Nutrition Facts: 180 calories | 6.5g fat | 28 carbs | 2g fiber | 4g protein