Chicken Salad sandwiches are a favorite for lunch. But these delicious sandwiches are traditionally made with mayonnaise which is high in fat. One of my favorite things to do is to take a not-so-healthy recipe and give it a healthy makeover. By using Greek yogurt as a healthy alternative, you get a healthy twist on chicken salad sandwich that is sure to make your taste buds dance.
Greek Yogurt is my latest obsession! Let me tell you, plain Greek yogurt is extremely versatile and can be used in substitution for both sour cream and mayonnaise. The flavor is easily manipulated and it’s a great way to nix unnecessary fat and boost protein intake. A 6 oz. serving of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt is only 120 calories, 0 grams of fat, and a whopping 22 grams of protein.
Healthified Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1T olive oil
- 1t salt
- 1t pepper
- 8 oz plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1T honey
- ½ lime, juice
- 1/4C light poppy seed dressing
- 1C grapes, halved
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3C slivered almonds
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheight. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and place in a pan with 1T olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Dice chicken into bite size pieces and let cool in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt, honey, lime juice, and dressing. Set aside
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together grapes, green onions, almonds and chicken breast. Then pour on dressing and toss.
- Serve on two pieces of toasted whole wheat bread.